Format: Hardcover
Genre: Dystopian, Paranormal, YA
Source: Personal Copy (Giveaway win from Dog-Eared & Bookmarked)
Source: Personal Copy (Giveaway win from Dog-Eared & Bookmarked)
Published: November 15th 2011 by Harper/HarperCollins
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
From Goodreads.com
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
By now, I'm sure you've heard all the hype surrounding Tahereh Mafi's debut book, Shatter Me. If you haven't? Then welcome to the Book Blogging Community, you must be new here! Now, I have to say - it's a great book. An amazing book. I loved it. But? I'm not falling all over myself after it. (Maybe with the hype, I built it to epic proportions and it didn't quite live up. Close, but not quite.)
We start with Juliette alone in a cell, and quickly she is given a roommate. From there? This journey jumps into action and doesn't slow down until you're finished. Although, even at the finish? You're left with questions, and an unfinished ending that leaves you wanting the sequel ASAP.
Mafi's writing is beautiful, it's magical. Her characters are fantastic. The world she's created leaves me with many questions, and may be the one weak point in this book - although the lack of knowledge works just as well for the suspense factor. Her suspense? Very well done. And the Sexytimes? Steamy Scenes? **SWOON**
I have to say that while I liked Juliette, I loved Adam. I loved every last detail about him. Both as a book boyfriend, and as an action movie star. (Although I say this now realizing that people are comparing this book to the XMen, which I have not seen, nor have any interest in seeing - so I don't know if this has any validity.) Mafi wrote him so well I could picture him moving in my mind.
Shatter Me is one of those books you can truly get lost in. A little bit Dystopian, a little bit paranormal, a lot suspense.



Well that's awesome that it essentially lived up to the hype for you and that there's a suspense element to it. I definitely want to read this book now. I'm always weary of books that get major hype!!
ReplyDeletexo,
La Toya (La Toya, Literally)
I'm really looking forward to reading this book, as I just won a copy of it too! So excited to get it in the mail :)
ReplyDeleteI want this one so bad. My library didn't have it so finally I'm requesting it to come in from an out of town library. I hear Adam is amazing! Can't wait!
ReplyDelete