Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Contemporary YA Romance
Source: personal copy
Source: personal copy
Published: January 2nd 2012 by Poppy
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
From Goodreads.com
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
BEWARE :: Gushing Ahead!
Now, I wouldn't say it was "fun", there were a lot of deep moments in it. But it was the best contemporary romance I've read in a long time. (And I don't say that lightly, but hands down it is the best. In a long time.)
Let's start with Oliver, because who doesn't love boys with a British accent? Not only is he way cute and have a British accent, but he's got a sense of sarcasm and humor (which is a MUST for a guy!) and he can banter with the best of them. I could spend all day talking about how much I love the 24 hours I spent with Oliver!
And Hadley? She's so real. Her thoughts, her actions everything about her was not only believable but spot on for an angsty seventeen year old girl. And I loved how honest and vulnerable she was with Oliver about everything. There was a moment early on when she was contemplating avoiding telling him that she'd previously seen a Disneyesque movie, but she decides to just lay it all out there. She truly won me over in that moment, that she wasn't afraid to show him all of who she is.
And while this is a beautiful love story (complete with a cute little old lady who reminds me of my own Grandmother, gushing about how wonderful love is and how wonderful it is to be married for 52 years) there is more to this one, and it has some deep and downright sad moments. But each moment adds so much to the story. And the fact that it takes place in just 24 hours is such a wonderful gimmick. I love it.
Jennifer E. Smith's Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a fresh look at the world of contemporary romance, and a book I would recommend to absolutely anyone!



I want to read this! Loved your review :)
ReplyDeleteNerd Girls at Books to the Sky