Sunday, January 1, 2012

Review: Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK by Betsy St. Amant

Title: Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK
 Author:
Format: Kindle
Genre: Contemporary YA (Christian)
Source:  Netgalley
Published: January 1st 2012 by Barbour Publishing
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥
♥ 1/2

From Goodreads.com
 
Sixteen-year-old Addison Blakely has tireless played the role of PK—preacher’s kid—her entire life. But after Wes Keegan revs his motorcycle into town and into her heart, Addison begins to wonder how much of her faith is her own and how much has been handed to her. She isn’t so sure she wants to be the good girl anymore. Join Addison Blakely as she attempts to separate love from lust, facts from faith, and keep her head above water in her murky, fishbowl existence.





I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started reading this one, but I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. And I have to admit, it did take until about the halfway point for me to really get into this book, but once I was in? I was in and finished it in a few hours. 

I have to say, while this book is very obviously Christian oriented, it's not beat you over your head religious - really it's just a side story in the bigger (more swoon-worthy) picture.
 
Addison is a loveable, and realistic 16 year old. Despite the someone uncomfortable relationship with her father, which seemed realistic to me in comparison to a childhood friend and her relationship with her widowed mother. (Have I ever mentioned that I love when contemp's are very realistic?) She is dealing with all the problems your average teenage girl deals with - falling for the bad boy, struggling with an over protective parent, peer issues, all that oh-so-fun <*/sarcasm*> stuff that goes along with high school. 

Wes is your typical bad-boy with a soft side. The guy your dad hated, you loved and who pushed your boundaries. Throughout the book, I loved him. I hated him. I wanted to hug him, kick him, kiss him, slap him. It was a real love/hate roller coaster for me. 

My biggest complaint about this book (and the one thing that - to me - wasn't very realistic) was Marta. She was supposed to be a German Exchange student, and that excited me. (One of my good friends was a girl I met 15 years ago when she was a German Exchange student.) Unfortunately? I didn't feel her role was very realistic - she should have just been the new girl in school. No need for the silly "exchange student" line. 

In the end? Confessions of a PK was a great, quick, contemporary romance that left me fondly remembering my own personal Bad Boy from high school. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good YA romance and doesn't mind a splash of Christianity thrown in.

6 comments:

  1. Great review, I like contemporary romance so this one sounds really good. thanks Jac x

    ✿FICBOOKREVIEWS✿

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second review of this book I read, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I could see a silly exchange student angle ruining some parts of this book for me too, but it sounds very cool. I don't normally read YA and am always on the look out for good ones!

    xo,
    La Toya (La Toya, Literally.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a book that I would enjoy. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a fantastic review! :) I appreciate your comments and feedback SO much! You guys should come over to my website and take the "Who Would You Date" quiz I made for readers. www.betsystamant.com (go to the page marked EXTRAS)

    To respond about Marta - this was written as a series, but now for reasons outside my control, the series is iffy. The second book was going to take place in Germany during the summer before Addison's senior year. If you guys want to see more of Marta and continue Addison's story with Wes, shoot BARBOUR PUBLISHERS an email and let 'em know :)

    You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! Great review! I may have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!

 

Important Dates

Get your own free Blogoversary button!