Author: Janet Evanovich
Format: Nook
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Source: Personal Copy - Purchased
Published: June 2011, by Random House Publishing Group
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥
From Amazon:
Where there’s smoke there’s fire, and no one knows this better than New Jersey bounty hunter Stephanie Plum.
Dead bodies are showing up in shallow graves on the empty construction lot of Vincent Plum Bail Bonds. No one is sure who the killer is, or why the victims have been offed, but what is clear is that Stephanie’s name is on the killer’s list.
Short on time to find evidence proving the killer’s identity, Stephanie faces further complications when her family and friends decide that it’s time for her to choose between her longtime off-again-on-again boyfriend, Trenton cop Joe Morelli, and the bad boy in her life, security expert Ranger. Stephanie’s mom is encouraging Stephanie to dump them both and choose a former high school football star who’s just returned to town. Stephanie’s sidekick, Lula, is encouraging Stephanie to have a red-hot boudoir “bake-off.” And Grandma Bella, Morelli’s old-world grandmother, is encouraging Stephanie to move to a new state when she puts “the eye” on Stephanie.
With a cold-blooded killer after her, a handful of hot men, and a capture list that includes a dancing bear and a senior citizen vampire, Stephanie’s life looks like it’s about to go up in smoke.
I was one of the last people in the world to discover the Stephanie Plum books earlier this year and read books 1 - 16 in about a months time. I was in love, and wanted more. Yet somehow, when #17 came out in June I took my time with it. I bought it on release day, and then let it sit on my Nook for nearly a month before starting it. Then? It took about 2 weeks to actually finish. I'm hoping that maybe I'm just a bit burned out on Stephanie and that's the main problem.
What I liked:
- I'm "Team Ranger" so I loved the interaction there! I was thrilled with his larger role!
- Morelli's Grandma? Bella? LOVED her in this book. (And her "eye") She is one of my favorite characters - she and Grandma Mazur.
What I didn't like:
- Lula still irritates me - She's the one character I really could do without.
- The fact that nothing changes, Stephanie is so wishy washy about everything, and she hasn't improved as a bounty hunter. At. All. I mean; I get that it's party humor, but really? She's THAT bad? After YEARS on the job? She doesn't Carry weapons? Really?
All in all? I'm glad I read the book, but I feel that the series is just turning into "Same old, Same old." I give it 3 hearts. ♥ ♥ ♥



Oh love your honesty. I love this one but I completely agree with all of your dislikes. I'm team Morelli (I like stability and all that). But I wish Stephanie would just make some progress in life. You know? It's not that she can't pick between two men. It's just that she's so comfortable. I think you said it best...nothing changes.
ReplyDelete