Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Be sure to check out my Giveaway!!!

Author:
Format: ARC
Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy
Source: Won Giveaway from YA Bibliophile!
Published:  
September 27th 2011 by Candlewick Press
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥
♥ ♥

From Goodreads

This is an extraordinarily moving novel about coming to terms with loss. The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do. But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming. . . .
This monster, though, is something different. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.
It wants the truth.
Patrick Ness spins a tale from the final story idea of Siobhan Dowd, whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself. Darkly mischievous and painfully funny, A Monster Calls is an extraordinarily moving novel about coming to terms with loss from two of our finest writers for young adults.


This book is one of the reasons that I am forever thankful I stumbled into the world of book blogging! In the past, I probably never would have even heard of this book - let alone read it! 

If you pick this book up (and you should) the be prepared to sit and read to the very end. And make sure you have a box of tissues next to you, because you are going to need it. (You should also be sure that any children you may have and your mother are in close proximity so you can give them a hug when you've finished, because you are going to want to.) 

Conor O'Malley lives with his mum, who is battling cancer. His Dad lives in America with his new wife, and Conor is being bullied at school based on his situation. One night, at 12:07pm, a monster visits Conor, although instead of scaring him he is there to tell him three stories. He tells Conor that once he finishes he three stories, he wants one in exchange. But Conor doesn't think he has a story to tell. 

I finished this book three days ago, and it's still difficult not to gush about this beautiful piece of work that Patrick Ness has created. (Although, I feel I need to mention that Siobhan Dowd originally had the idea of this book before she lost her battle with cancer, which to me? Knowing this bit of information makes this story that much more emotional.) It is a beautiful (yet painful) twist on the childhood nightmare of monsters.

I also feel the need to mention the illustrations, which are unlike any I've seen before in a book. They are so raw with emotion that they fit so perfectly with the book.

As I mentioned, grab some tissues and read this book! You won't regret it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!

 

Important Dates

Get your own free Blogoversary button!