Format: Netgalley
Genre: Christian/Amish Fiction
Source: Netgalley.com
Published: November 1st 2011 by Barbour Pub Inc
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥
From Goodreads
You'll be swept away by the endearing characters created by award-winning author Anna Schmidt. On the heels of a horrific hurricane, Hester Detlef, field director for the Mennonite Disaster Service, blows into the life of self-made, shunned Amish man John Hafner. Will she find a way through his shield and into his heart? Although the hurricane has left John homeless and badly injured, the last thing he wants is some do-gooder Mennonite woman intruding in his life. Will his impatience with her intention of restoring his faith and property keep him from accepting this beguiling stranger's kindness?
I really wanted to love this book! It sounded great, and I normally really enjoy the Amish books! (I think it may have something to do with the idea that I have such an obsession with electronics and can't leave the house without my iPad and my Cell Phone! So it's nice to imagine the polar opposite! At least that's the excuse I give.) Of course, this is actually a Mennonite book, involving a shunned Amish man, so there's a bit of a difference.
I loved the story of the hurricane, and the unusual setting of Florida! I also enjoyed that John had a political aunt who looked out for him (which I did find odd as well, considering he was an Amish man who was shunned, but as I read on it made more and more sense. I think Anna Schmidt did a fabulous job of story telling with that story line! )
It took me a little while to warm up to Hester, and even longer to warm up to John. I think that's what was difficult for me with this book, that the character development just hit a snag for me. But by the end of the book, it had worked itself out for me and I really enjoyed it.
All in all, this book was a fun weekend read, I really enjoyed the setting and much of the story! It was a very unique story about Plain People, and I look forward to the rest of the series!



0 comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!