Thursday, December 15, 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Format: Kindle
Genre: Dystopian, YA
Source: Personal Copy
Published: May 3rd 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

From Goodreads.com
Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place her in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.
Where has this book been all my life? If I wasn't already in love with reading? Divergent would have sealed the deal!

Veronica Roth has built an amazing Dystopian world in post-apocalyptic Chicago! So wonderful and believable in fact that my only complaint about this book is that we never get more than a mention of the Sears Tower! (Or the Water Tower which has already survived so much with the Great fire of 1871. I have great hopes that it is still in existence during Tris's lifetime.)

Her characters are fabulous, there truly is no other way to describe them. If I were able to "be" one character from a book? I think I would be Tris. I admire her for sticking to her beliefs and finding what she truly feels. Aside from just being generally awesome! And Four? Don't even get me started on my love for Four!! **SWOON**

Divergent is the perfect mix of action, romance and coming of age for me. I Loved learning about the different factions and often found myself wondering where I would belong - I would probably be an Erudite or an unhappy Abnegation. I could never make it through the Dauntless initiation or spill all my secrets like the Candors!

In the end, this review is nothing more than a giant gush-fest where I let my inner fan girl scream and swoon for Veronica Roth and her characters! Divergent is easily one of my top five favorite reads of 2011 - if not all time. I anxiously await Insurgent in April 2012. 

Now, why are you still at your computer? Go grab a copy of Divergent if you haven't already read it!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing? I loved Divergent too! It was my favorite read of 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this one fabulous??? I loved it :)) It's definitely one of my top favorite books from 2011 :))

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!

 

Important Dates

Get your own free Blogoversary button!