Friday, December 23, 2011

Review: Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

Title: Author:
Format: Kindle
Genre: Contemporary Chick-Lit
Source:  Personal Copy
Published: November 22nd 2011 by Bantam
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ 

From Goodreads.com
Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum’s life is set to blow sky high when international murder hits dangerously close to home, in this dynamite novel by Janet Evanovich.

Before Stephanie can even step foot off Flight 127 from Hawaii to Newark, she’s knee deep in trouble. Her dream vacation turned into a nightmare, she’s flying back to New Jersey solo, and someone who sounds like Sasquatch is snoring in row 22. Worse still, her seatmate never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he’s dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. The FBI, the fake FBI, and guns-for-hire are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying.

I am too the point where I read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series purely out of obligation (and I'm still waiting to see who she picks.) But let's all be honest here - Stephanie is tired, she is very tired. (And while her world is wonderful, her characters are colorful and we all have an attachment to them. After Eighteen books, they are all the same.)

This book was one disappointment after another, there was hardly any Ranger time. Stephanie is still stupidly afraid of her gun (SERIOUSLY?? It's not cute anymore.) Lula is still like nails on a chalkboard to me. No one blew up Stephanie's car. (Sure, there was some storyline where her car was involved, but no smoke, no flames, nothing.)

Now, before I sound so negative - there were things I enjoyed. The idea of Joyce being compacted in the junkyard was an intriguing one. As was the question of the missing wedding band on Stephanie's hand. It definitely kept me guessing for awhile.

In the end, while I love Stephanie Plum and I really enjoy Janet Evanovich's writing. Unfortunateley, this series has turned into a book version of ER, it has run way beyond it's prime and is feeling very repetitive. All I want at this point is a conclusion - I want to know who Stephanie chooses.
 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't read this one for that same reason. I don't think the series has to be this way. Ms. Evanovich can make something happen. Shake it up. Go a different way. I'm loyal to a fault but I can't read these anymore. And when something eventually happens, I can read that one and miss nothing in between.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!

 

Important Dates

Get your own free Blogoversary button!