Thursday, December 1, 2011

TGIF / Follow Friday

A weekly Meme by GReads!
 
 
Friday, Dec. 2nd - Writing Reviews 101: What's your process for writing book reviews? Any tips or suggestions you would recommend to other bloggers?
 
I am looking forward to reading everyone's response to this! 
I have a notebook that I take notes in as I read (although if I'm reading on my iPad I typically just highlight and type) to remember key points that I want to mention.

Really though, I am realizing that need (or rather want) to reevaluate how I review. 
 
Follow Friday is brought to you byParajunkee's Review and Allison Can Read! (Check them both out, you won't regret it!) 
 
Question: What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to books? Maybe you don't like love triangles or thin plots? Tell us about it!  

*Anticlimactic Endings. I recently finished a series where the villain who we'd spent many MANY books following/running from is pulled out of the plot due to food poisoning. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. (Well, almost) So I hate with the bad guy reaches his demise/boot in the butt due to something stupid. 

*Absent Parents. Sure, I love summer camp and boarding school. But otherwise? What the heck is up with kids being allowed to do WHATEVER they want? So authors, if you aren't going to have parents? SEND THE KIDS TO BOARDING SCHOOL! But please, For the love of Kit-Kats, do not just have lazy, absent parents! 


15 comments:

  1. I really should get a notebook! I always have sticky notes, or my iPod notepad, or just rely on my memory. Gotta get more prepared!

    As for the FF, I never even thought of that! What is with the lack of parents? I see it in TV shows all the time, but never even considered for books. And yes, when I'm intrigued by the build up, it really sucks to have a sucky ending.

    Happy TGIF and FF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Food poisoning?! Seriously? That's just awful writing. Way beyond anticlimatic in my opinion. You're right though, don't build up this story and then just let it drop at the end. Its a waste of your time and mine.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy Friday!
    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely always curious when reading YA about where are all the parents at!! So true!

    My Follow Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food poisoning...WOW. lol I agree about bad endings. Especially if you are following a series, an anti-climactic ending is so frustrating!

    Also agree about the parents. I don't mind it if there's an explanation, but when they live in the same house and never see each other...grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "For the love of Kit-Kats" I love your answer! And, your great use of junk food;) I never understand where all the parents go in YA...Like is there some alternate parent universe we read nothing about? My parents sure didn't live there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping through. I'm with you on lazy parents. They can't be as prevalent in real life as they are in novels.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food poisoning, huh? How vomit-inducing! (I crack myself up.)

    New follower! Check out my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, anti-climactic endings are seriously annoying especially when there has been great buildup of tension and then it all fizzles.
    Great answers.

    Here's my Pet Peeve Post

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, a book you invested in shouldn't end stupidly. =] New Follower.
    Here is My FF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, yes, absent parents are the worst. I think it's a bit sad that I've reached the point where I consider it worth commenting on when parents AREN'T absent!

    New follower :)

    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're not the only one who's rethinking how she reviews. I'm doing exactly the same thing and hoping to revamp in time for the New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The absent parents is a good one, I agree.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear ya on the absentee parents. It seems to be the norm in YA unfortunately. A character can still be interesting and come from a loving family.

    I'm a new follower. :)

    Holiday Foreplay Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I'm in complete agreement with you, anticlimatic endings especially! I can't stand getting all excited through an entire book or series and then the conflict being resolved so easily.

    Thanks for stopping by today, and I'm a new follower now!

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to agree with you on the notebooks. I'm yet to use my ipad to do what your doing but I like that it can be an option.

    I also am in the same boat as you with regards to reviewing the way I review. LOL.. if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!

 

Important Dates

Get your own free Blogoversary button!