Thursday, December 8, 2011

TGIF / Follow Friday


A weekly Meme by GReads!
Friday, Dec. 9th - Book to Movie: Which book turn movie do you feel did the best adaptation? What about the worst?
This is such a good question! (Aren't they all?)  
   
My immediate Book to Movie that I love? Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I loved the book, SO MUCH! I also loved the movie - despite the obvious differences. But, you can't fit all of the book into any movie without making it go on for close to 20 hours - can you? 


   
But dislike? That's tough. Mostly because that's a long list... I always try to read the book first. And I am often disappointed by the movie. But in honor of our Christmas viewing? I love the book - How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I love Dr Seuss. (Who doesn't?)  I love the annual tv show! (In fact? My 3 year old is watching it as I type this!) But I hate HATE HATE the movie. Jim Carrey scares me in this one,  and it was WAY too long. Epic Fail. 


Follow Friday is brought to you byParajunkee's Review and Allison Can Read! (Check them both out, you won't regret it!) 
Keeping with the Spirit of Giving this season, what book do you think EVERYONE should read and if you could, you would buy it for all of your family and friends?


This is a tough one, mostly because I know my family and friends are not always into the same books that I am. So I'll just list a few with a few reasons!  (And I'm going strictly on books I've read this year... just to make this slightly easier.)


1. I would give everyone a copy of by . It is possibly my favorite contemporary read. Ever. And I think everyone should experience the magic of Anna and St. Clair!!


2. I would give everyone by . I think everyone should be exposed to such a beautiful piece of art. I cannot gush enough about how amazing the whole experience of this book was. 


3. I would also give everyone by . Because most everyone I know enjoyed Twilight and I think they would all love this one equally. (And I just ADORE Dimitri... Gee, I'm not boy crazy, am I?) 


4. Lastly (but not leastly) by . With all of the bullying going on recently (a 14 year old boy in my hometown recently committed suicide) I think this is an incredibly moving and intense book to help everyone think about how they look at the world around them.

24 comments:

  1. SQUEEEEE!!! THE GRINCH! YESSSS!
    Oh, I know it's not quite the same, but I've just ordered the DVD and I'M SO EXCITED!

    And I've heard SUCH amazing things about Water For Elephants. GREAT picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anyone who wouldn't love Anna and the French Kiss or The Vampire Academy. Both are instant wins! Mostly because its so hard not to love St. Clair or (for me) Adrian. You honestly can't go wrong handing those boys out.

    old follower
    My Follow Friday

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower hopping through to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely would give Anna and the French to anyone who likes to read! I'm currently reading Lola and the Boy Next Door, so far so good!

    My Follow Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with you on the books! I actually haven't read The Night Circus yet. It's one I plan on reading this month during my little reviewing-break. I can't wait to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas will always be a favorite of mine. Great idea for a gift.
    Old follower from FF
    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping through. Loved Water for Elephants - both book and movie - although they were different. And Anna and the FK.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed on Anna and the French Kiss and Vampire Academy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Follower! Great picks, been wanting to read Anna and the French Kiss, thanks for sharing! Here's my FF
    http://jumpintobooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/follow-friday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. great choices by the way.

    New Follower
    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex
    CHECK OUT MY FF POST HERE

    ReplyDelete
  11. VA all the way!!! I want Anna and the French Kiss!!

    New follower and happy friday!!

    iamjenai
    http://bookinglyyours.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Anna and the French Kiss! It's all kinds of give-able.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone's talking about The Night Circus. I'll have to read it soon!
    New followers.

    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, was really disappointed in Grinch too.

    Happy FF
    http://musingsfromanaddictedreader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed The Grinch as a movie, but not as much as I loved the book! And I have yet to see Water for Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also liked the movie adaptation of WFE, even though it was not exactly like the book. I think they managed to capture the spirit of that era.

    Happy Friday!

    JJ iReads
    Check out my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to read Night Circus and Vampire academy everyone says how great they are. I really need to read them!
    new follower!
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Night Circus sounds good,great choices!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/follow-friday_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I promised a couple of fellow book bloggers I wouldn’t “machine gun” my Follow Friday posts on the blogs I visit but this week’s Follow Friday has inspired me to make an important exception.

    The book I think everyone should read is a work of non-fiction called The Four Hour Workweek. The thing is, the book is very well written and entertaining so it reads like a work of fiction. What the book can do to enhance your life and change the way you live day by day seems unbelievable on its face which might mark it a legitimate work of fiction for the skeptics out there.

    If you read this work of non-fiction and really follow the advice it gives and apply the insights you’ll gain, your life will read like a modern tale fairytale.

    I encourage, implore and even insist you follow me back to my book blog so you can find out why I think EVERYONE should read The Four Hour Workweek – http://www.howardsherman.net

    TGIFF!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Water for Elephants, but haven't seen the movie yet. Glad to see you liked it though, since I'm always afraid of being disappointed with movie adaptions:)

    New follower from FF:)
    Nina @ Lost in the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post though I'll have to disagree with you on the grinch, I loved the movie adaptation, I was rolling on the floor during it. I thought it was wonderful and Jim Carry played the Grinch perfectly C:

    New Follower!

    Shortskie's Friday Hops

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, so the only one I've read is Anna and the French Kiss, but it was definitely awesome on the romance (and character) front! I can't wait to read The Night Circus. Great picks on books to share.

    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction
    http://fansoffiction.blogspot.com/2011/12/feature-and-follow-friday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are the second person I've seen recommending Anna and the French Kiss. Even though it doesn't sound like something I'd normally read I think I should pick it up. The Night Circus was one of my choices as well. One of my favorites of the year - maybe THE favorite. I also agree with you that books like Shine are important.

    New follower! My FF Post

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!

 

Important Dates

Get your own free Blogoversary button!