Author: Richelle Mead
Format: Kindle
Genre: YA Paranormal
Source: Personal Copy
Published: April 10th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA)
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
From goodreads
Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose…
It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians—including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if handto- hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks….This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.
But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price…
I think that I can easily say (at the moment) that Vampire Academy is my new favorite series! I may even venture to say that Frostbite was better than the first book! Maybe it's because we already know the main characters, maybe it's because the bulk of the book was set at a ski resort - which is one of my favorite places in the world! (I live in Colorado for a reason!!)
The book starts out at St Vladimir's, with Rose and Dimitri (*swoon*) on their way to Rose's test with another Guardian. It turns out that all Dhampir Guardians take a big skills test before their final year of training, sort of a PSAT for Vampire Body Guards. Only, when they get to the test location they find the scene of a pretty brutal massacre. And worse? The strigoi may be using humans to attack the Moroi Royal Families.
This leads way for the entire population of St Vlad's to take a giant ski trip together, figuring that there is safety and strength in numbers. Of course, stuck in such a small space leads to lots of sexual tension! Lissa and Christian are going strong, Rose is in love with Dimitri who may be in love with Christian's aunt. Mason is in love with Rose, and Mia (Rose's archenemy) is in love with Mason. And everyone seems to think the mysterious Adrian and Rose have something going on.
What I love about this book:
- Dimitri. At the moment, the Russian Dhampir is at the top of my book crush list! (Well, near the top - there is a certain boy from a French Boarding School who really has my heart.)
- The Ski trip! Really, a great way to add in new characters that would have no business being at the school. I just loved the whole trip; it made me anxious for winter so I can hit the slopes!
- Rose's Mom. This was a relationship that I didn't expect to see in this book; the interaction between Rose and her Mother. I think that Richelle wrote it really well, the hostility and anger that Rose has for being abandoned, her mothers desire to do what's best for her daughter. The whole thing was great!
- Mason, and his love for Rose. I just adore his affection for her.
What I didn't love:
- That Lissa (or the bond) didn't have a huge role in this book, I felt it centered more around Rose/Mason/Dimitri and Lissa was just a side thought.
- Mason's Aunt Tasha. Maybe it was just that she was taking Dimitri's attention away from Rose, but she really just got under my skin.
All in all, Frostbite was an excellent book! I couldn't seem to put it down. I give Richelle Mead 5 hearts! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥



I LOVE THIS BOOK! I have a crush on Dimitri like you would not believe and he about killed me in this book. And even though it was probably my raging jealousy and indignation on Rose's behalf, but Tasha really bothered me too. I kind of wanted to punch her even though she doesn't deserve it. Well, maybe she does a little:)
ReplyDelete