Title: Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead
Format: Audio
Genre: YA Paranormal
Source: Audible.com
Published: August 2007 by Razorbill
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
From Goodreads:
St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.
I am a total Twilight geek, and so I was pretty hesitant to read this book. I was sure I would be comparing it to Twilight the whole way, and that wasn't the case at all!! In fact; there are definitely parts that I like *more* than Twilight.
You have Lissa (a Moroi - aka living vampire - princess) and Rose (Lissa's best friend and Dhampir - half Moroi, half human - Guardian.) who start out the book on the run; then are quickly caught and brought back to St. Vladimir's Academy, where Lissa resumes her magic training and Rose her Gaurdian Training.
Unfortunately, life at the boarding school isn't all fun and games! Of course there is an evil plot, the ever present fear of the Strigoi (the undead, evil vampires) and your typical high school drama! But I have to say, there was one twist at the end that I never saw coming! And it just made me love the book more!
What I loved:
*Rose's kick ass attitude!! She was one of the best female leads I've read in a long time! (And this was definitely one thing Vampire Academy has over Twilight - that the female lead isn't so mushy/mopey.)
*Dimitri! *swoon* (Edward Who?)
*The twist of there being two different races of Vampires, one actually living! Loved that.
*Christian. I loved him from the start; But I love the underdog and the social outcasts.
*The twist near the end that I totally didn't see coming!
What I didn't Care for
*That the book ended. *lol* (Of course, I just bought book #2 so I'm sure I won't be sleeping tonight...)
*The Cover. Really, I think that was another reason I was hesitant to read. Because I totally judge a book by it's cover!
I absolutely adored Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead! I can't wait to start reading book #2 (Frostbite). I give this book 5 hearts! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Currently Reading


Rating System
♥♥♥♥♥ - STOP! Read this now!
♥♥♥♥ - Stay up late and read.
♥♥♥ - Add this to your "TBR" Pile.
♥♥ - Get it from the Library.
♥ - This book just wasn't for me.
♥♥♥♥ - Stay up late and read.
♥♥♥ - Add this to your "TBR" Pile.
♥♥ - Get it from the Library.
♥ - This book just wasn't for me.
Followers
Recent Posts
Recent Posts
Labels
2011
(2)
2012
(1)
Adult
(8)
Anderson
(1)
Blog Tour
(2)
Book Blogger Hop
(12)
Chick Lit
(9)
Christian
(9)
Contemporary
(28)
DAC
(1)
Discussion
(2)
Dystopian
(4)
Fantasy
(10)
Fiction
(9)
Follow Friday
(17)
Giveaway
(5)
Goals
(1)
Historical
(1)
HQN
(5)
In My Mailbox
(22)
Interview
(1)
Library
(1)
Mallery
(4)
Meme
(1)
Memoir
(1)
Middle Grade
(2)
Mystery
(2)
Non-Fiction
(1)
Paranormal
(18)
Personal
(8)
PSA
(1)
QandA
(1)
Read-A-Thon
(2)
Recipe
(1)
Reviews
(74)
Romance
(15)
Sci-Fi
(1)
Series
(10)
Series Review
(2)
Strain
(1)
TBR
(1)
Teaser Tuesday
(19)
Television
(1)
TGIF
(22)
Themes
(1)
Top Ten Tuesday
(13)
Video
(1)
waiting on wednesday
(14)
Wishlist
(19)
WWW Wednesday
(11)
YA
(42)
YA Audio
(1)
Grab My Button
Powered by Blogger.
Archive
-
▼
2011
(185)
-
▼
September
(40)
- Review: Southern Fried Sushi by Jennifer Rogers Sp...
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower #4) By Stephe...
- Review: How to Flirt with a Naked Warewolf by Moll...
- WWW / Waiting On Wednesday
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: Only His by Susan Mallery
- Review: The Juliet Spell by Douglas Rees
- Sunday Rambles
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: 1225 Christmas Tree Lane by Debbie Macomber
- WWW / Waiting for Wednesday
- Top Ten Tuesday :: Top Ten Books Everyone Has Read...
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: Her Rodeo Cowboy by Debra Clopton
- Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead
- Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- In My Mailbox
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
- Review: Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty
- Waiting on Wednesday
- WWW Wednesday
- Top Ten Tuesday :: Top Ten Books I Read Because of...
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: Irresistible (Buchanans #2) by Susan Mallery
- Accents! (Or, I talk funny!)
- In My Mailbox
- On my Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
- WWW Wednesday
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: Something Blue by Emily Giffin
- Books? What are those?
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- A Big Day!
-
▼
September
(40)
Friday, September 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think this is one of my favorite series! Have you started Frost Bite yet? It's my favorite of all the V.A. books.
ReplyDelete