Title: The Juliet SpellAuthor: Douglas Rees
Format: Net Galley - Kindle
Genre: HQN, YA
Source: Netgalley
Published: September 27th 2011 by Harlequin Teen
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥
From Goodreads
I wanted the role of Juliet more than anything. I studied hard. I gave a great reading for it—even with Bobby checking me out the whole time. I deserved the part.
I didn't get it. So I decided to level the playing field, though I actually might have leveled the whole play. You see, since there aren't any Success in Getting to Be Juliet in Your High School Play spells, I thought I'd cast the next best—a Fame spell. Good idea, right?
Yeah. Instead of bringing me a little fame, it brought me someone a little famous. Shakespeare. Well, Edmund Shakespeare. William's younger brother.
Good thing he's sweet and enthusiastic about helping me with the play...and—ahem—maybe a little bit hot. But he's from the past. Way past. Cars amaze him—cars! And cell phones? Ugh.
Still, there's something about him that's making my eyes go star-crossed....
The cover of this book had me hooked right away, I HAD to read it. (That, plus my passionate love for Romeo and Juliet!) But I have to say I was a bit disappointed; I found that the plot didn't flow smoothly, and I was often stopping and asking myself "Wait! What?"
I love the idea of time travel, I love the idea of the chaos that comes from throwing a character from the past into our technology filled present day. But this book, I felt, struggled to make it even somewhat believable.
I also didn't feel that I ever really connected with the characters, which is something I ALWAYS look for in any book. Although I did grow to appreciate Miri, somewhat.
All in all? I would give the Juliet Spell 3 hearts, as I enjoyed it, it was quick read to help me escape cleaning my kitchen! But I definitely don't think it's one I'd re-read.



I read this one a few weeks ago, and I didn't love it as much as I wanted to. I felt like Rees just didn't connect with the characters. He mentioned he wanted to write a historical novel about Edward, but he knew YA readers probably wouldn't like it so he came up with this. I felt like he was kind of settling. Or maybe talking down to YA readers? I don't know, but I felt like it just wasn't challenging enough. Eh, either way, it was a cute read.
ReplyDelete