Title: Sloppy Firsts
Author: Megan McCafferty
Format: Paperback
Genre: Contemporary, ChickLit, YA
Source: Library Copy
Published: August 2001 by Three Rivers Press
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
From Goodreads:
“My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.”
When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?
A fresh, funny, utterly compelling fiction debut by first-time novelist Megan McCafferty, Sloppy Firsts is an insightful, true-to-life look at Jessica’s predicament as she embarks on another year of teenage torment--from the dark days of Hope’s departure through her months as a type-A personality turned insomniac to her completely mixed-up feelings about Marcus Flutie, the intelligent and mysterious “Dreg” who works his way into her heart. Like a John Hughes for the twenty-first century, Megan McCafferty taps into the inherent humor and drama of the teen experience. This poignant, hilarious novel is sure to appeal to readers who are still going through it, as well as those who are grateful that they don’t have to go back and grow up all over again.
I don't know why I'd never heard of this series until recently, I read book one in one day! And I can't wait until bedtime for my three year old so I can start reading number 2!!
I'm sure that I've mentioned before that I can't stand Diary style books? I hate them. But for some reason, this one works so well in that style. I really felt as if I was in Jessica's head a lot of the time, and the characters seemed so real - as if I was reading my little sisters diary (which, I know nothing about ;) Kate, if you're reading. )
The book opens with the absolute worst thing that could happen to an almost sixteen year old girl, her best friend moves away just days before her sixteenth birthday. Jessica Darling falls into the obligatory funk that all young girls would fall into, but something about her is different about her. She's not absolutely boy crazy (unless we're talking about the fabulous Senior track star, Paul Parlipiano!) and she's not into parties and popularity. On the other hand, she's not the social pariah that is so popular in teen books.
The cast of characters in this book are wonderful! The new girl, Hy, who everyone expects to replace Jessica's missing best friend. Her life long friend and first kiss turned football star, Scotty. Former BFF Bridget who is dating the hunky and popular Burke. Pepe/Pierre/Percy the Black Elvis from her French Class. And of course, mysterious dreg, Marcus Flutie. (One reason I am excite about the rest of the series is that I'm told Marcus plays a great role! I found his character intriguing, and could relate well to him from my high school days.)
I got an extra giggle out of Jessica's summer job in "Sleazeside Heights" and the description of the places and characters made me comparing them to my recent (odd) obsession with Jersey Shore.
I can't say enough good about this book and look forward to the rest of the series! I give Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty 4 hearts! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Currently Reading


Rating System
♥♥♥♥♥ - STOP! Read this now!
♥♥♥♥ - Stay up late and read.
♥♥♥ - Add this to your "TBR" Pile.
♥♥ - Get it from the Library.
♥ - This book just wasn't for me.
♥♥♥♥ - Stay up late and read.
♥♥♥ - Add this to your "TBR" Pile.
♥♥ - Get it from the Library.
♥ - This book just wasn't for me.
Followers
Recent Posts
Recent Posts
Labels
2011
(2)
2012
(1)
Adult
(8)
Anderson
(1)
Blog Tour
(2)
Book Blogger Hop
(12)
Chick Lit
(9)
Christian
(9)
Contemporary
(28)
DAC
(1)
Discussion
(2)
Dystopian
(4)
Fantasy
(10)
Fiction
(9)
Follow Friday
(17)
Giveaway
(5)
Goals
(1)
Historical
(1)
HQN
(5)
In My Mailbox
(22)
Interview
(1)
Library
(1)
Mallery
(4)
Meme
(1)
Memoir
(1)
Middle Grade
(2)
Mystery
(2)
Non-Fiction
(1)
Paranormal
(18)
Personal
(8)
PSA
(1)
QandA
(1)
Read-A-Thon
(2)
Recipe
(1)
Reviews
(74)
Romance
(15)
Sci-Fi
(1)
Series
(10)
Series Review
(2)
Strain
(1)
TBR
(1)
Teaser Tuesday
(19)
Television
(1)
TGIF
(22)
Themes
(1)
Top Ten Tuesday
(13)
Video
(1)
waiting on wednesday
(14)
Wishlist
(19)
WWW Wednesday
(11)
YA
(42)
YA Audio
(1)
Grab My Button
Powered by Blogger.
Archive
-
▼
2011
(185)
-
▼
September
(40)
- Review: Southern Fried Sushi by Jennifer Rogers Sp...
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower #4) By Stephe...
- Review: How to Flirt with a Naked Warewolf by Moll...
- WWW / Waiting On Wednesday
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: Only His by Susan Mallery
- Review: The Juliet Spell by Douglas Rees
- Sunday Rambles
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: 1225 Christmas Tree Lane by Debbie Macomber
- WWW / Waiting for Wednesday
- Top Ten Tuesday :: Top Ten Books Everyone Has Read...
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: Her Rodeo Cowboy by Debra Clopton
- Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead
- Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- In My Mailbox
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
- Review: Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty
- Waiting on Wednesday
- WWW Wednesday
- Top Ten Tuesday :: Top Ten Books I Read Because of...
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: Irresistible (Buchanans #2) by Susan Mallery
- Accents! (Or, I talk funny!)
- In My Mailbox
- On my Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
- WWW Wednesday
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: Something Blue by Emily Giffin
- Books? What are those?
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- A Big Day!
-
▼
September
(40)
Thursday, September 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I kept looking at this book and couldn't figure out why it sounded so familiar to me. Then it hit me this evening when I was looking for something new to read. There it was, plain as day, on my shelf staring back at me. I've never read it. It kept getting shoved aside for something else. Now I'm going to have to read it so I can fully understand what you loved about it. :)
ReplyDelete