Monday, September 12, 2011

Review: Irresistible (Buchanans #2) by Susan Mallery

Title: Irresistible
Author: Susan Mallery
Format: Audio
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Source: Audible.com
Published: July 2006 by HQN
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥
♥

From Goodreads:


 It wasn't just her homemade brownies that made Walker find Elissa irresistible . . . When ex-marine Walker Buchanan stops to help Elissa Towers change a tire, he tells himself it's just the neighborly thing to do. And when Elissa finds herself baking him a thank-you pie, she's just returning the favor . . . right?
Both of them have sworn off dating -- Elissa's determined to protect her little girl, and that means ditching her taste for dangerous men . . . especially former marines with dark secrets. Walker knows that he's not cut out for hearth and home . . . his own crazy family made sure of that. But the sparks won't stop flying between them.
Now the two are struggling to keep their relationship "just friends," but with every kiss, their rules fly out the window . . .

 I swear, I could be president of the Susan Mallery Fan Club! I adore her books. I love them even more when they are series books (like Irresistible *wink*) because I think she does such a great job of keeping up with previous characters, while not spending too much time on their stories.


I have to say, I have not read the Buchanan books in order. I started with #3 (Reid and Lori, Sizzling) then read #1 (Penny and Cal, Delicious). But I have been looking forward to Walkers story because I think he is my favorite Buchanan sibling, he's got the military man thing going on, but he's also got something mysterious about him that just drew me in from the first mention. He may be one of my top romance heroes of all time. (I love Walker Buchanan!!)


The basic premise of this book is Single Mom, Elissa Towers is raising five year old Zoe, working as a waitress and crafting jewelry on the side to get by. She has some baggage and dark secrets from her past, including having been a teenage runaway with no family. 


Walker is fresh out of the Marines (YUM!) and on a hunt to find the girlfriend of one of his fallen comrades. He has rented an apartment in a neighborhood where he knows no one in hopes to remain unattached and anonymous as he figures out what he wants to do next. 


What I Loved?
  • This series is fabulous at showing the inner workings of the family, something I have so far been disappointed with in the Fool's Gold series. 
  • The characters, Mrs. Ford - the little old lady next door who is a surrogate family to Elissa and Zoe. Elissa's friends and coworkers. They are all great. Well developed and makes you feel like they might be your neighbors.
  • I really liked the runaway story line, I think it unfolded well and was pretty believable, something that I have read in other books and not cared for.
What I Didn't Love?


  • Gloria Buchanan. She is the villain I love to hate :)
  • The narrator -- I felt like the characters had southern accents - which definitely is not true to Seattle. (But that is such a minor issue.)

Over all? This has been my favorite book of this series, I loved it so much I would recommend it to anyone. I give Irresistible by Susan Mallery 4 hearts  ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!

 

Important Dates

Get your own free Blogoversary button!