Author: Anna Staniszewski
Format: egalley
Genre: Fantasy, Middle Grade
Source: NetGalley
Published: November 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
From Goodreads:
"You know all those stories that claim fairies cry sparkle tears and elves travel by rainbow? They're lies. All lies."—Twelve-year-old Jenny has spent the last two years as an adventurer helping magical kingdoms around the universe. But it's a thankless job, leaving her no time for school or friends. She'd almost rather take a math test than rescue yet another magical creature! When Jenny is sent on yet another mission, she has a tough choice to make: quit and have her normal life back, or fulfill her promise and go into a battle she doesn't think she can win.
As I read this book, all I could think was that a 4th or 5th grade me would LOVE this book! Real Kingdoms with all the fairytale creatures? Unicorns? Fairy's? Dragons? Talking frogs? Yes Please!! I think the clincher for me was the talking Gnome! (I have an odd place in my heart for Garden Gnomes!)
I think this book had everything a mid grade novel should have! A lovable main character who learns a lesson (the grass isn't always greener on the otherside) and spouts off good sayings (treat others as you would like to be treated) and learns to accept friends for who they are. (With a lesson on not telling lies thrown in there as well.)
But all those good lessons are masked by a great story! Anna Staniszewski did a wonderful job of creating a new world, as well as the characters that inhabit the world where Jenny is employed as an Adventurer! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun mid-grade book!



0 comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!