I suppose I'll start with my favorite and just work my way down for these first three!
Sleepaway Girls by Jen Calonita
♥♥♥♥
I grabbed this book from the shelf at the local library because I was 'homesick' for summer camp! (I attended for 13 years as a camper and counselor before I moved out of state to get married...
This was my first book by Jen Calonita, but it definitely won't be my last and I can't wait to share her books with my daughter when she's a bit older! Her characters were vivid and realistic, and her plot was believable. I found myself walking the trails of Whispering Pines right alongside Sam, crushing on Cole and wanting throw my glass of juice in (mean girl) Ashley's face!
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves camp life.
♥♥♥
I picked up this book (Thank You NetGalley and Stone Arch Books!) expecting a middle grade book about fat camp. I was excited for that prospect. Unfortunately? There is no fat camp - the synopsis is very misleading. (And I would still love a book to match this synopsis!) None the less? This is a pretty good quick read.
It is written in a diary format, by Kat a 14 year old "fat girl". The idea is great, she's working hard and losing weight. She has parents who are concerned that she is doing it right, she has a nutritionist and a trainer. She has a love interested. It's all the stuff great books are made of.
The writing is great too, I found it fun and at times funny. I was able to read the book in one setting, which is something I can't do often unless the writing is great.
My only complaint (aside from the lack of matching the synopsis) is that it was all too neat and perfect. Especially seeing that this book is aimed at young girls, I would have liked to see some struggle for Kat. Because we all know that dieting and eating healthy is bound to have some slip ups, and some frustration. It was just too neat and tidy for my liking.
All in all? I really enjoyed this quick read.
It is written in a diary format, by Kat a 14 year old "fat girl". The idea is great, she's working hard and losing weight. She has parents who are concerned that she is doing it right, she has a nutritionist and a trainer. She has a love interested. It's all the stuff great books are made of.
The writing is great too, I found it fun and at times funny. I was able to read the book in one setting, which is something I can't do often unless the writing is great.
My only complaint (aside from the lack of matching the synopsis) is that it was all too neat and perfect. Especially seeing that this book is aimed at young girls, I would have liked to see some struggle for Kat. Because we all know that dieting and eating healthy is bound to have some slip ups, and some frustration. It was just too neat and tidy for my liking.
All in all? I really enjoyed this quick read.
♥
I had so many hopes for this book. The premise - nice guy falls in love with the 'fat girl' and realizes that beauty is within - is great.
Unfortunately? I found the writing unrealistic (laughably so) and the characters obnoxious. I get it was written in the 1980's, but come on! Good writing existed then.
I had a hard time reading, the writing style was lacking, the conversations annoyingly cheesy. I understand this was aimed at young adults, but I have never in my life heard a 17 year old boy talk to his mother as politely and grammatically correct as Jeff did. (And, my sister - who read this book - agreed with me that it almost seemed as though Jeff had a very unrealistic and almost disturbing relationship with his mother.
I found Jeff fake and annoying. His 'beautiful and perfect' girlfriend, Norma to be patronizing and inconsistent. The only (even partial) saving grace was Ellen aka "The Fat Girl".
In the end? This was possibly one of the worst books I have ever read, I held on hoping it would get better - hoping there was something good. But I was disappointed with every page turn.
Unfortunately? I found the writing unrealistic (laughably so) and the characters obnoxious. I get it was written in the 1980's, but come on! Good writing existed then.
I had a hard time reading, the writing style was lacking, the conversations annoyingly cheesy. I understand this was aimed at young adults, but I have never in my life heard a 17 year old boy talk to his mother as politely and grammatically correct as Jeff did. (And, my sister - who read this book - agreed with me that it almost seemed as though Jeff had a very unrealistic and almost disturbing relationship with his mother.
I found Jeff fake and annoying. His 'beautiful and perfect' girlfriend, Norma to be patronizing and inconsistent. The only (even partial) saving grace was Ellen aka "The Fat Girl".
In the end? This was possibly one of the worst books I have ever read, I held on hoping it would get better - hoping there was something good. But I was disappointed with every page turn.





0 comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!