Title: Shine
Author: Lauren Myracle
Format: Nook
Genre: YA, GLBT,
Source: Personal Copy
Published: May 1st 2011 by Amulet Books
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
From Goodreads:
When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.
Against a backdrop of poverty, clannishness, drugs, and intolerance, Myracle has crafted a harrowing coming-of-age tale couched in a deeply intelligent mystery. Smart, fearless, and compassionate, this is an unforgettable work from a beloved author.
If there was one good thing that came from this whole NBA fiasco? It's definitely that so many more people were made aware of this wonderful book! See, when I think of Lauren Myracle, I think of the cutesy covers that my sister (who is 7 years younger) used to have on her nightstand - TTYL, TTFN, etc. Books that didn't particularly interest me... I had no idea how powerful this book would be.
Shine gripped me from the first page, with Lauren Myracle's perfect descriptions I felt like I was thrust into this small Moutain town and the characters came to life in a way that I haven't had characters dancing (or sulking as this case may be) in my mind in a long time.
When Cat starts searching for the person who viciously beat her childhood best friend, Patrick, and left him fighting for his life in a coma, she starts to uncover many secrets about her small mountain town. Exposing us to the poverty of this region in our country, we see the local teenagers involved in a Meth scandal, as well as the lifelong effects of abuse.
The discovery of the unlikely perpetrator definitely had me shocked, as did the story revolving around the why. The climax of this story is one of the best I've read, with Cat racing to save an innocent victim I was on the edge of my seat.
I commend Lauren Myracle for writing such a beautifully touching book about so many tough subjects. I give Shine 4 hearts! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
Because I love this book so much, and because I think it has such a powerful message? I'm going to giveaway a copy! To win, simply fill out the rafflecopter below and on Monday - Oct 24, I will pick a winner!!
Currently Reading


Rating System
♥♥♥♥♥ - STOP! Read this now!
♥♥♥♥ - Stay up late and read.
♥♥♥ - Add this to your "TBR" Pile.
♥♥ - Get it from the Library.
♥ - This book just wasn't for me.
♥♥♥♥ - Stay up late and read.
♥♥♥ - Add this to your "TBR" Pile.
♥♥ - Get it from the Library.
♥ - This book just wasn't for me.
Followers
Recent Posts
Recent Posts
Labels
2011
(2)
2012
(1)
Adult
(8)
Anderson
(1)
Blog Tour
(2)
Book Blogger Hop
(12)
Chick Lit
(9)
Christian
(9)
Contemporary
(28)
DAC
(1)
Discussion
(2)
Dystopian
(4)
Fantasy
(10)
Fiction
(9)
Follow Friday
(17)
Giveaway
(5)
Goals
(1)
Historical
(1)
HQN
(5)
In My Mailbox
(22)
Interview
(1)
Library
(1)
Mallery
(4)
Meme
(1)
Memoir
(1)
Middle Grade
(2)
Mystery
(2)
Non-Fiction
(1)
Paranormal
(18)
Personal
(8)
PSA
(1)
QandA
(1)
Read-A-Thon
(2)
Recipe
(1)
Reviews
(74)
Romance
(15)
Sci-Fi
(1)
Series
(10)
Series Review
(2)
Strain
(1)
TBR
(1)
Teaser Tuesday
(19)
Television
(1)
TGIF
(22)
Themes
(1)
Top Ten Tuesday
(13)
Video
(1)
waiting on wednesday
(14)
Wishlist
(19)
WWW Wednesday
(11)
YA
(42)
YA Audio
(1)
Grab My Button
Powered by Blogger.
Archive
-
▼
2011
(185)
-
▼
October
(39)
- Review: My Very UnFairy Tale Life by Anna Stanisze...
- In My Mailbox
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF
- Review: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King
- WWW / Waiting on Wednesday
- Teaser / Top Ten Tuesday
- Bout of Books Read-a-thon
- And the Winner Is!!!
- Review: Slim to None by Jenny Gardiner
- In My Mailbox
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: Shine by Lauren Myracle (+ Giveaway!)
- Review: Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
- Top Ten Tuesday :: Judging Books By Their Covers
- Teaser Tuesday
- Weekend of Reading - Mini Reviews!!
- In My Mailbox
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- And the Winner Is...
- Review: Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
- WWW / Waiting on Wednesday
- Top Ten Tuesday
- Teaser Tuesday (And a PSA!)
- Review: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
- Giveaway: Anna (x2), Lola or Mara! You Chose!!
- In My Mailbox
- On My Wishlist
- TGIF / Follow Friday / Book Blogger Hop
- Review: There You'll Find Me by Jenny B Jones
- Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Ho...
- WWW / Waiting on Wednesday
- Teaser Tuesday
- Review: The Wonder of Your Love by Beth Wiseman
- In My Mailbox
- Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door
- On My Wishlist
-
▼
October
(39)
Thursday, October 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment!